Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Good things and bad things, happened in the same week for AR Rehman

The Chennai-born 42-year-old is earning yet more plaudits as the man behind the soundtrack for Danny Boyle's hit movie Slumdog Millionaire. Rahman took just three weeks to complete the Slumdog score.

Q&A with BBC

How has it been to be part of Slumdog Millionaire's remarkable awards success?

It's been a great two months. Right after all the tragedies in Mumbai (Bombay), I lost my sound engineer who was very close to me - it all happened in the same week. Then the Golden Globe nominations were announced and all those good things happened, to cheer me up I guess. It's a dream come true.

Not everyone has been so delighted with Slumdog's success. Haven't there been objections in India to the title?

There are a couple of cases, saying it shows the country in a poor light. But being an ambassador for fighting poverty for the UN, I believe this film will make a greater statement than any politician or lobbyist.

I hope this will be a positive step towards eradicating poverty. In Mumbai, you have the richest man in the world and the poorest person in the world co-existing side by side, which is a shame. You can't accept that.

We understand you're not keen on "Bollywood" either...

I hate the word. I think it's derivative and it doesn't represent the entire film community in India. There's the eastern film industry, four industries in the south - they all make extraordinary films. It's like saying the whole of the West is Hollywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment